Revised as of April 7, 2015
Ad Server: An ad server, in its simplest form, is responsible for delivering an ad to be shown on a web page. Today, communications may be sent to several servers in the process of selecting and delivering an ad. This occurs in a matter of milliseconds.
Beacons and Tags: Beacons and tags enable digital advertising companies to collect data and serve advertising on websites by allowing communication between a web browser and an ad server. A beacon (or web beacon) is a small transparent image that is placed on a web page. A tag is a small piece of computer code that is run by the web browser.
Interest-Based Advertising: Interest-Based Advertising uses information collected across multiple websites to predict users’ preferences and to show ads that are most likely to be of interest to those users. For example, if a user visits a travel site, they might see travel related ads on another site. Adwerx offers web users choices with respect to the use of the Platform for this type of advertising.
PII: Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”) is information that by itself can be used to identify a specific individual. PII includes such things as name, address, phone number, and email address. Adwerx prohibits its customers from providing PII for use on the Adwerx Platform. (See below for more information.)
Non-PII: Non-Personally Identifiable Information is information that cannot by itself be used to identify an individual person. Non-PII includes such things as browser type, operating system, the web address of a web page visited, the time and date a web page was visited, and the web address of the referring page. It may also include the number of times a particular browser has been shown a particular ad, or it may include generic categories indicating inferences that have been made about users’ interests.
Real-Time Bidding: Advertising buyers are able to bid in “real time” for the opportunity to show an digital advertisement when a web page is loaded by a web browser. The winning bidder gets to show their ad on the web page.
The Platform allows our clients to purchase digital advertising, including Interest-Based Advertising. The Platform is designed to enable these advertising purposes through the use of non-PII that may be collected by clients using the Platform, or that clients may acquire from other sources. As described in the Privacy Statement below, Adwerx makes certain uses of the non-PII collected by clients on the Platform.
- The Platform uses unique cookies to identify web browsers and to store data for advertising purposes, including Interest-Based Advertising.
- The Platform uses unique cookies to store ad delivery and reporting data, such as, for example, which ad was shown, the number of times a particular ad has been shown, and how recently an ad has been shown to a particular web browser.
- The Platform uses unique cookies to track users’ responses (clicks and conversions) to ads purchased on the platform.
- The Platform uses non-unique cookies for server load-balancing and similar technical purposes.
- The Platform uses non-unique cookies to store users’ opt-out choices.
- The Platform is designed to use non-PII only.
Collection and Use of Information
What information do we collect and use?
PII: The Platform does not collect PII, and Adwerx prohibits clients from collecting PII on the Platform. The Platform may use PII provided by customers for purposes of targeted advertising and providing services requested by the customer, but any such PII is converted to anonymized data before it is used by the Platform, is only used as anonymized data, and is not stored or transferred to third parties as PII.
Non-PII: Adwerx collects and uses non-PII collected on the Platform.
How do we collect information?
- Adwerx also receives non-PII from data vendors in connection with the Platform.
For what purposes do we use the information?
- Adwerx uses the information collected on the Platform to provide, operate, manage, maintain, and enhance the Platform.
- Adwerx may act as a client of the Platform to engage in its own digital advertising of its business.
- The Platform enables Adwerx’s clients to use non-PII they collect to buy digital advertising, including Interest-Based Advertising.
Particular advertising-related purposes for which Adwerx clients may use the non-PII they collect on the platform include:
- Interest-Based Advertising (Users can opt out of Interest-Based Advertising through a number of channels, including TRUSTe’s Ad Choices, the Network Advertising Initiative’s Consumer Opt-Out Page, and the Digital Advertising Industry’s opt-out platform).Limiting the number of times a user sees a particular ad.
- Showing ads in a particular sequence.
- Customizing ads to a particular geographic region.
- Showing ads related to the content of the web page on which they are shown.
- Determining when users respond to ads.
- Reporting aggregated statistics regarding, for example, the effectiveness of digital advertising campaigns.
What information does Adwerx share with third parties?
Adwerx may, to operate or enhance Adwerx’s services, provide data collected on the Platform to clients, corporate customers, and service providers. For corporate customers that are participating in Adwerx through a sponsored corporate customer program, Adwerx will share data collected on the Platform (including, for example, lists of the clients participating in the corporate customer program and information about their campaigns) with the sponsoring corporate customer. In addition, Adwerx may disclose such information in the event we reasonably suspect malicious activity or believe that we are legally required to do so. Adwerx may also share aggregated data derived from the Platform, including, for example, statistics about Platform activity. Finally, we may transfer Platform data to a successor entity in connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, sale of assets, bankruptcy, or other corporate change.
How is the information stored and how long is it kept?
Adwerx uses generally accepted industry security standards to store Platform data.
Non-PII stored in the Platform is retained in the Platform in non-aggregated form for up to 12 months. Aggregated data is used for reporting and analysis, and may be stored in the Platform for up to 2 additional years.
What happens if this privacy statement is changed?
If you have questions about privacy on the Adwerx Platform, you may email us at email@example.com.
© 2015 Adwerx, Inc. All rights reserved.